If you’re planning on giving your home a makeover, you’ll want to make sure the job is done right. As many experts will tell you, painting and decorating is much more than just picking out pretty colours and patterns.
Whether you’re painting the walls or hanging wallpaper, preparation is key! It’s a surprisingly complex process that requires careful planning and execution. However, getting professional tips is essential to achieve the best possible results.
Professionals have a wealth of experience and knowledge about colour schemes, furniture placement and other important aspects of interior design. They can help you make the most of your space and create a stylish and functional look. They can offer unbiased advice about products and brands, which can help you decide what to buy.
Alla som äger en bostad betalar en kommunal fastighetsavgift. Den här regeln gäller sedan 1 januari 2008 då man tidigare betalade en statlig fastighetsskatt.
So let’s seek advice from experts in the field to help you get the most out of your next painting or decorating project.
One of the greatest benefits of drywall is that its seams can become virtually invisible with the work of a talented drywall restoration contractor.
Get the Perfect Look For Your Home
If you get inspired watching the home decorators’ channel and see that it needs a little sprucing up whilst your home is functional. Getting your car keys and heading to the nearest store to buy a few pillowcases and a can of paint is just a tad hasty. We know how exciting and daunting this project you will take on, but if you have the confidence, we say go for it!
Transform your home into a space that you’re proud to show off.
But pause, take a moment and plan. For sure, you have plenty of questions in mind. Firstly, let’s prepare what you should do before starting this massive task.
Painting and decorating are different. It would help if you did the painting before you decorated. Choosing the furniture will have to complement your choice. Painting is one of the quickest and easiest ways to freshen a room.
So, when it comes to painting your home, there are a lot of choices. What colours should you use? How do you achieve the perfect finish? In decorating, will you go minimalist, or do you already have a theme?
Our master painters and decorators in Australia have put together some tips to help you create a professional-looking paint job, no matter your skill level.
- Prep the space
Invariably, the first step in any plan is to prepare.
- Remove all the clutter and furniture to clean the room you’ve chosen thoroughly.
- The space you want to transform must be cleaned, washed and stripped from the old wallpaper or paint.
- Sand and dry brush the walls to avoid small bumps whilst painting the walls. You can use a vacuum to get all the fine dust.
- You can apply putty to the holes from the previously drilled spots.
- Gather the tools you need to avoid delaying the task. Get your checklist ready by adding ladders, paints, brushes, canvass and more.
- Avoid drips and splatters using canvass cloth on the floor and painter’s tape along the edges of the wooden trims.
- Don’t forget to apply primer paint before starting the painting.
2. Plan and choose the right colours
- You can check out and research colour palettes that go well together.
- Choose a neutral colour for your paint to give you plenty of options on what decorations to choose.
- Don’t hesitate to get a bold colour if you plan to have an accent wall. Make your accent wall pop with teal, terracotta or maybe red! It goes with the theme you are planning to do.
- Maybe add a mural if you’re into art.
3. Use the suitable materials
- Don’t hesitate to buy an expensive paintbrush and rollers. Low-quality brushes lose bristles that will only stick on your painted wall. You can reuse them by cleaning them before the paint starts to harden on the hairs of your paintbrush.
- Research what top-quality paint to buy. This may cost you more, but think about the quality of finish you will get, and you might use less as some high-quality paints only need two coats rather than multiple coats.
4. Follow the rules in painting
- Use primer paint to avoid a blotchy finish.
- Ceilings come first, then walls and floors.
- Begin painting the edges, and then follow with corners and frames of windows and doors. This path eliminates the time of taping all the edges.
- Concrete walls usually use latex paint. Wooden and metallic surfaces use enamel paint. Never mix different types of paint.
5. Avoid the clutter
- Clean as you go to avoid accidents.
- Put a box near your working area, so it is easy to organise paint cans and tools.
- Paint fumes are not suitable for your lungs. Slice an onion and place it anywhere in your working area to absorb the smell.
- Fold the canvass and place it in a box for future use.
- Pro-tip: You can unstick your dried-up paintbrushes by soaking them in hot vinegar for at least 30 minutes! It will be nice and soft and ready to use.
6. Pick the right furniture to compliment your theme
- It is easy to be overwhelmed by the variety of furniture. Stick to your budget and only buy what is needed.
- Seek inspiration from catalogues or Pinterest. You can create a vision board that quickly identifies what goes into the space you want.
- Get some furniture that has multiple functions to save up space, like side tables with additional seating options or a sofa that can be a bed or a lazy boy.
- Don’t pick items that will clash with the wall colour you’ve chosen.
- Define the basic things that should go in your selected room. A sofa for the living room, a bed in the bedroom and a dining table for your dining area. From there, you can add the pieces of furniture you need.
7. Make your decorated space a haven of comfort!
Select furniture pieces that give the best comfort for you! And that you can afford, of course. From fluffy pillows to key pieces like lamps and accent chairs, let your style define the space you want and follow the tips from experts to achieve your stylish room.
When redecorating your home, it can be tempting to just go with your gut. After all, you know your style better than anyone else, so why not just rely on your taste? However, experienced painters and decorators know all the trade tricks and can help you avoid common mistakes that novice DIY-ers often make. They can also advise you on choosing the right colours and finishes for your home, and they can help you create a style that reflects your personality and taste.
So, before you start redecorating, get some expert advice— it could make all the difference in the end!